Stress is a medical term commonly found in the paradigms of biology and psychology. The term “stress” was the first time used as well as coined way back in the 1930s. But in the contemporary ages “stress” has become a rather commonly known term as it has come within the popular jargon all around the world. Stress is a situation when an individual or organism under the effect of failure is unable to respond and react suitably to physical as well as emotional threats. These threats which act as stimuli can either be imaginary or actually exist in the real world.
Common Symptoms That Hint at Emotional Stress
- An acute state of alarm
- An adrenaline rush
- Short term resistance which is one of the common ways of coping with stress
- Muscular tension
- Low concentration levels
- Physiological problems like pounding heart and intense headache
In such situations coping with stress becomes extremely necessary. Excessive amounts of stress depression, emotional stress and acute stress symptoms can affect a person’s mental and physical health to a large extent often forcing suicidal thoughts. Living with stress is the most unpleasant mental condition that a person can go through. It is necessary to relieve stress and carry out relaxation techniques to help a person manage the “fight or flight” reactions people face in order to ensure a proper performance level that would help maintain a competent and quality performance in the social and professional life.
Tips to help coping with stress: Effective Relaxation Techniques for Stress Management
- Ø For effectively managing stress and eliminating the stress symptoms, you need to recognize the various sources in your life that are causing the severe emotional stress you experience. This is one of the initial steps to stress management. Try to make out which are the stimuli that make you feel stressed. This is a process that is not as easy as it sounds as most often the sources of stress are not obvious and remain hidden. Hence it is likely that you will overlook most of the stress stimuli like particular thoughts, behaviors and feelings. In the contemporary age, the tight work schedules and the strict deadlines are one of the most significantly responsible sources causing stress, both emotional stress and physical stress. In order to identify the stress causing symptoms you need to take a closer look at your own life style. Scrutinizing your own habits, thoughts, excuses and attitudes is very necessary for stress management.
- Ø You will surely be able to trace situations that you often tend to dismiss as temporary stress, don’t do that! You need to realize that stress and stress symptoms are not an indispensable part of your family life or professional life. Calling something commonly crazy and nervous energy won’t solve the problem, it will only build on the stress further. Do not blame your emotional stress on any other individual or external events. Stress is never normal nor can it be considered as unexceptional. Hence one of the most effective methods of stress management is to accept the responsibility for your own deeds. To keep a control on your stress level and eliminate stress depression you need to accept that even you play a role in creating stress in the first place.
- Ø Try to avoid the unhealthy ways that people tend to use while coping with stress. These may initiate pleasure and relief in the initial stages but these relaxation techniques are unable to ensure long term solutions. The unhealthy stress management techniques that you need to avoid is,
- Smoking cigarettes
- Alcohol intake
- Under-eating or overeating
- Spending prolonged hours in front of the TV, or the computer or while playing video games
- Retreating from a social life, moving away from friends, associates, family members and any kinds of social activities
- Taking sleeping pills or taking drugs
- Sleeping for long hours with out any physical activity or brain exercise
- Avoiding responsibilities, spending hours dillydallying
- Releasing your own emotional stress on others through physical violence and outbursts
- Ø Another very effective way of dealing with stress is to alter a particular situation that evokes stress symptoms. Individuals should learn how to express their mind without keeping it locked. They need to be assertive and learn how to compromise. Moreover, adapting with the stressors is the best one can do for stress management. They need to reframe their problems while looking at the entire picture, adjusting their standards accordingly. The secret to a stress free life is to keep a positive focus. Stress management in a sound and proper way can always help deal with things in a lot better way without hindering social and professional life and that too as soon as possible.