Mental focus is actually the power of the mind to concentrate on a particular object or thought and its ability to direct thinking thereon. Mental focus is indispensable and is required by individuals on a continual basis while taking part in the day to day spheres of life. Whether you are playing cards or preparing for your exam, it is mental focus that keeps you going.
In fact mental focus is the primary building block that leads to concrete memory. Mental focus is the act that helps improve memory skills through absolute focus on a task that is at hand right now without being distracted by any external stimuli.
All individuals have the capacity to initiate concentration and improve memory. We often get lost in doing something that we enjoy, listening to music, playing video games, reading, etc. These are actual situations of acute mental focus when the brain reaches the state of ultimate concentration.
What are the different levels of mental focus?
According to psychologists, there are 5 basic levels of mental focus that is based on the foundation of time frame. These are,
- Mental focus and memory based on the entire lifetime
- Mental focus and memory standards on a yearly basis
- Weekly mental focus, memory and concentration
- Mental focus and concentration level on each day
- Current mental focus and level of concentration
An individual who aims at an all-round success both in terms of profession and social life needs to have a sound mental focus on all the five levels of concentration mentioned above. Lack in mental focus in any of the five categories will force the rest of the four categories to suffer. Proper mental focus of a wholesome kind can ensure the maintenance of a proper balance in an individual’s life. Only continued mental focus and concentration on a particular element or task can help one master it to the level of perfection.
How to stimulate mental focus?
Here’s some good news for all you gluttons out there. According to doctors and medical scientists, there are a number of delicious and healthy foods that can be consumed in order to boost mental focus and improve memory skills of the brain. These are termed as “brain foods” and can help an individual feel energized, attentive and build on the concentration level which in a way ensures better memory.
Most of the “brain foods” comprise of particular nutrients like proteins, minerals, vitamins, fatty acids and antioxidants. As far as the issue of improved concentration and memory is concerned, it is necessary for an individual to consume a balanced meal that is rich in vegetables and fruits. This has to be on a daily basis in order to provide the body with ample amount of energy at the same time enabling the brain and the body to fight with mental fatigue. Some other food items that help improve memory and concentration are as follows,
- Fish (sardine, tuna and salmon are extraordinary sources of omega-3 fatty acids that play a significant role in improving the overall health and functioning of the brain, fish is an essential brain food rich in protein that helps improve mental focus)
- Eggs (eggs are rich in the vitamin B nutrient choline which is a significant chemical that contributes to brain development and also contain protein)
- Nuts (almonds and walnuts are renowned as nutrients that build on brain health as these are rich in magnesium and vitamin E)
- Green leafy vegetables (heavy in vitamins and minerals, folic acid, which helps hold on to improved levels of mental focus and also prevent chances of memory disorders like Alzheimer’s)
- Berries (blackberries, blueberries and strawberries are rich in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals and help improve all the molecular signals happening within the brain)
- Broccoli (rich in Vitamin K which is conducive to proper functioning of the brain)
- Tomatoes (tomato has special stress fighting qualities which helps eliminate a number of the negative factors that hinder concentration and mental focus)
- Spinach (Spinach is rich in Vitamin A and C, iron and calcium which contribute to brain health and obviously improve memory skills building on concentration at the same time)
- Kale (Kale is a particular vegetable that is loaded with compounds and effective nutrients that help improve memory skills, brain health and sound levels of mental focus; kale also contains minerals like iron, manganese, potassium and calcium along with vitamin C making it an absolute brain food)
- Swiss Chard
- Dark chocolate (this has lots of antioxidants that builds on concentration and also ensures mental focus)
- Whole grains (cereals, pop corn and brown rice contains Vitamin B6 and B 12 that build on memory, improve functioning of the brain, improve memory skills and accentuate mental focus)